It’s that time of year again, the new year’s resolution ideas start flowing and much reflection on the year that’s passed takes place.
We have the ability to start fresh no matter which day of the year we’re in, but there’s something special about the start of a new year—filled with the magic of new possibilities and opportunities ahead.
My intention with this article is to provide you with practical information, some of my favourite New Year’s quotes and prompts for self-reflection that you can use to head into 2022 feeling inspired, motivated and prepared for this new beginning.
15 Of The Most Attainable New Year Resolution Ideas For A Healthier & Happier Life
How many times have we made that new year resolution list and actually stuck to it? I am definitely guilty of letting my high-achieving resolutions fall by the wayside.
So now I believe in starting simple and then you can build on from there. Also, it’s not necessary to have a list so long it’s running out the front door.
The last thing you want to do is overwhelm yourself. This list feels inspiring, yet each one is very much attainable.
Honestly, the best way to grow is through reading. Challenge yourself to read at least one book per month. Maybe even create a book club with a few friends so you can get together and discuss it. This is also a great way to stay accountable.
- Cook something different every week.
Eating healthier is usually at the top of everyone’s list come the new year. Although that is important, it’s also good to try to eat a wider variety of foods. It can be so easy to get stuck eating the same thing, even if it’s already healthy. Try cooking something different every week and even get the kids/ teens to help with some ideas. Might even be worth investing in a lovely new cookbook for inspiration.
- Drink less alcohol.
Yes yes I know, much easier said than done, but as you get older you realise just how important this one is. Drinking less alcohol can help to improve your mood, sleep, skin and immune system. Also, that money can then be allocated towards something else your heart desires.
- Budget better.
Learn to budget like a boss. This is one resolution that will benefit you so much in the future. Learning to save and budget better is a skill everyone should learn. Apps like Money Dashboard and Koody can help you do this as painlessly as possible and make it fun to do!
- Join a club.
Starting a new hobby is great, but joining a club will help you meet new people in the process of starting something new. Sites like Meetup can assist you in finding a group of people with similar interests and hobbies. There’s also the option of creating digital meetups too. During the current time we are living in, human connection has been so limited so it’s important to make the effort.
- Book your doctors screenings.
Schedule these appointments at the beginning of the year and then you know they are in your calendar. Life tends to get crazy and then these are usually the things that get pushed out first. Contact your primary care provider, and ask which screenings (e.g., mammogram, colonoscopy) you’re due for. Schedule those in, then move on to the dentist, etc.
- Become an indoor plant parent.
There is something so magical about indoor plants. I love adorning my space with all the green and it makes my space feel so much more peaceful. Research actually shows that just the presence of indoor plants can lower human stress levels, and one study found that actively caring for plants calmed the autonomic nervous system and lowered blood pressure. With benefits such as these, I hope you’re running to the nearest nursery.
- Quit smoking.
I don’t think I need to tell you how bad smoking is, but if you’ve been wanting to quit let 2022 be your year! Let this be your encouragement that you can do it!
- Stairs it up.
If there’s an option to take the stairs or the lift, I choose the stairs every time. This is a great way to get those extra steps in and a cardio boost which will naturally increase your energy levels. Give it a go!
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.
Water is literally life. We are made up of mostly water so we have to make sure that we are replenishing ourselves daily. You don’t want to overdo it but make sure you are drinking enough for your size and lifestyle.
- Kickstart a new vocation.
If 2022 feels like the year to follow your heart in a new direction or test the waters with a side hustle, then do it! Forever started as a way for me to make extra income and then it turned into a full-on business. Looking to start an online business? Read my blog here.
- Volunteer more.
Giving back is paramount in this world. Find a cause or charity you’re passionate about and make time to volunteer there regularly.
- Upcycle your wardrobe.
According to Circular Online, the UK is the fourth largest textile waste producer in the world, producing 206,456 tonnes of textile waste in a year. By upcycling our clothes, we can help tackle this issue by taking our old and shabby clothes and giving them a new creative look and feel. This will not only help the planet, but it can also have an impact on how we view our clothes and is extremely economical.
- Invest in your skincare routine.
Looking after your skin is the ultimate self-care practice. I have been using Infinite By Forever for a long time now and absolutely love the way it makes my skin feel. What we feed our skin matters so be intentional with what you’re putting on it.
- Walk more.
This is literally the best low-impact exercise out there. It’s also so good for your mental health. Make an effort to go on more walks and spend time in nature—complete food for the soul.
10 Of My Favourite New Year Quotes
1. “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one” – Brad Paisley
2. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream” – C.S. Lewis
3. “We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives…not looking for flaws but for potential” – Ellen Goodman
4. “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. “Hey friend, don’t you dare forget, as you’re creating a new you, that there’s a whole lot about the old you that’s worth keeping” – Toni Sorenson
6. “If you don’t like something change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude” – Maya Angelou
7. “There comes a day when you realize turning the page is the best feeling in the world, because you realize there is so much more to the book than the page you were stuck on”– Zayn Malik
8. “Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending” – Carl Bard
9. “The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want” – Ben Stein
10. “One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now” – Paulo Coelho
22 Journal Prompts For Self Reflection And A New Year
At the end of each year, I love to set aside some time to sit down and reflect on the year that’s passed.
Doing this exercise is so valuable in helping me understand what my challenges were, where I’ve grown, where I can improve, what my wins were and where I had the most growth.
I came across these powerful and thought-provoking journal prompts on the Will Frolic For Food blog and just had to share! I’ll definitely be adding these to practice.
Don’t take too long on each question, just answer from your intuition and allow wit to flow—you’ll be surprised as to what comes through.
Get yourself a beautiful journal to write in, pour a pot of tea and get going.
- If the energy of your past year could be encapsulated by one word, what would that word be?
- What were your big wins this year?
- What were your small wins this year?
- What were your challenges this year?
- For every challenge on your list, write down 1 (or more) lessons, tools, or gifts your challenges gave you this year.
- What do you need to shed or leave behind from this past year?
- Who were the most integral people in your life this past year?
- How did these people support you, teach you or help you to grow?
- Regarding physical health, what health, wellness and fitness practices were most beneficial or enjoyable for you this year?
- What health, wellness and fitness practices were the most challenging or perhaps detrimental?
- With that in mind, what are your health goals for this coming year?
- Regarding financial health, what practices (if any) did you implement in the past year that were of benefit?
- What financial practices will you start (or continue) in the coming year to grow wealth and become financially stable?
- What are your overall financial goals for this coming year?
- What are your career or vocation goals for this coming year?
- What are your personal goals or intentions for this coming year?
- Keeping these goals in mind, what is one over-arching intention you would like to set for this coming year?
- What is one small thing you are manifesting for this coming year? Write the details of this in your journal.
- What is one big thing you are manifesting for this coming year? Make it something realistic to manifest within 6-12 months. Write the details of this in your journal.
- What are 4 ways you will push yourself out of your comfort zone this year?
- At the end of this coming year — when you look back at your life over the last 12 months — what is the ONE thing you want to have accomplished or maintained a commitment to?
- Brainstorm 10-20 words that encapsulate the energy that you’re calling into your coming year. Reflect on those words and then choose one word that reflects the overall intention you’d like to set for this coming year. This is your “word of the year.”
Ready To Call In An Exceptional New Year?
I think we’re all feeling ready to take a break, reflect and set our intentions for the new year to come. It’s been a strange last 2 years and I think we’re all hoping for a more ‘normal’ 2022.
As I’ve said before, it may feel like so much is out of our control but there is also so much that we can take control of, so let’s focus on that.
Let’s keep moving forward, living life and reaching for our dreams. Never settle for less and know that you are worth it!
I hope this article has inspired you for the new year ahead and given you some valuable food for thought.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful and blessed festive season.
I love hearing from you so please feel free to share in the comments below and ask me any questions.
Please click the social icons to share this with your network and help inspire them to action today!