Self-development quotes are a simple tool you can utilise to sprinkle some inspiration into your day and keep you motivated along the path of personal growth.
Not all days are rainbows and butterflies and sometimes sage bits of wisdom from those we admire are just what we need to hear to remind us of the bigger picture.
Life is so much more than just surviving, we are here to expand, grow and experience love in a multitude of ways — all of which deepens when you make an effort to be a better person than you were the day before.
This article will focus on words of pure inspiration so that you can head into 2021 knowing how important doing the inner work is and that true success lies in the person you’ve become when you get there.
What Is Self-Development?
It’s about taking intentional steps towards personal growth by improving your personal skills, competencies, talents and knowledge.
The key element to self-development is the inner growth and self-inquiry of oneself that takes place in order to seek fulfilment and proactively reach your fullest potential.
Why Is Self-Development Important?
What would be the point of the human experience if we were to forever stay the same?
Just like we should never stop learning, the same should apply for self-development and improvement.
When you become intentional about personal growth, you give yourself space to continuously become a better version of yourself and this in effect transforms every area of your life.
Here are 12 reasons why self-development is important no matter what your age is:
- Increases self-awareness
- Enhances strengths
- Overcomes weaknesses
- Step out of your comfort zone
- Improves mental health
- Heals relationships
- Inspires motivation
- Improves your ability to make decisions
- Gives you a sense of purpose
- Gives you clarity and focus
- Instils an attitude of learning
- Cultivates self-love
33 Of My Top Self Development Quotes
1. “Be The Change You Want To See In The World.” – Gandhi
This quote rings so true, especially with everything that’s been happening this year.
It can be so easy to get caught up in all the negativity, so it’s important to create your own light in times of darkness.
Whatever you want to experience more of in the world, become that.
There’s a lot we don’t have control over, but what we can control is how we show up in our own lives — and this, in turn, ripples outward.
2. “What holds most people back isn’t the quality of their ideas, but their lack of faith in themselves. You have to live your life as if you are already where you want to be.” – Russell Simmons
I’ve seen this time and time again with those building a network marketing business. You can want to do it, but until you actually believe you can do it, you will keep holding yourself back.
This is why self-development is such an important part of being an entrepreneur.
3. “You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight. If you want to reach your goals and fulfil your potential, become intentional about your personal growth. It will change your life.” – Jim Rohn
4. “To grow yourself, start from knowing yourself.” – Anonymous
Self-awareness is essential to living a happy and fulfilled life.
Expanding your knowledge is one of the powerful things you can do for yourself — if you’re not growing and developing as a person then you’re not really moving forward in life, which means you must be moving backwards — who wants that?
5. “Set a goal so big that you can’t achieve it until you grow into the person who can.” – Zig Ziglar
6. “The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday.” – Anonymous
The age-old tale of comparison — this is something us humans have not quite learnt how to not do.
So, when the comparison bite strikes, remind yourself that we have no idea what someone else’s circumstances are.
It may look pretty on the outside, but you’ll never know what someone else is actually experiencing.
Focus. On. You.
That’s all that matters.
7. “Every moment of one’s existence, one is growing into more or retreating into less.” – Norman Mailer
8. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Growth is the great separator between those who succeed and those who do not. When I see a person beginning to separate themselves from the pack, it’s almost always due to personal growth.” – John C. Maxwell
10. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” – Buddha
11. “You Are Never Too Old To Set Another Goal Or To Dream A New Dream.” – Les Brown
Every day when we wake up, we have a choice and can choose exactly who we want to be that day.
Decide who you desire to be and then become it and choose that version of yourself over and over, before you know it that’s who you’ll be.
12. “The Best Investment You Can Make Is In Yourself.” – Warren Buffet
When most people think of investments, they think of financial investments. They are so concerned with making more money that bettering their bank account is worth more than themselves.
Put some time and energy into becoming a better you by investing in yourself.
You’ll quickly see an ROI that will benefit your entire life (usually including your bank account too).
13. “Personal Development Is A Major Time-Saver. The Better You Become, The Less Time It Takes You To Achieve Your Goals.” – Brian Tracy
14. “You Are Essentially Who You Create Yourself To Be, And All That Occurs In Your Life Is The Result Of Your Own Making.” – Stephen Richards
15. “Setting Goals Is The First Step In Turning The Invisible Into The Visible.” – Tony Robbins
Many people have these grand ideas of what they want to do in life, yet they have no plan on how to get there.
Setting clear short term and long term goals has been a massive catalyst in helping me achieve all I have done in my life so far.
You have to have a roadmap to show you the way, otherwise, you are leading yourself blindly and that doesn’t usually get you what you want.
16. “If You Are The Kind Of Person Who Is Waiting For The ‘Right’ Thing To Happen, You Might Wait For A Long Time. It’s Like Waiting For All The Traffic Lights To Be Green For Five Miles Before Starting The Trip.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Stop waiting for the right time. This time is right now.
17. “With Integrity, You Have Nothing To Fear, Since You Have Nothing To Hide. With Integrity, You Will Do The Right Thing, So You Will Have No Guilt.” – Zig Ziglar
18. “We Are What We Frequently Do.” – Aristotle
19. “Don’t take anything personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
This is a big one, especially when you’re building your own business. A lot of the time friends and family will weigh in with their opinion.
You have to hold steadfast in your WHY so that you’re not swayed by the opinions of others.
This takes practice, but once you get it, you’ll feel so liberated.
20. “We all have something that we are meant to do. Your genius will shine through, and happiness will fill your life, the instant you discover your higher purpose you will then direct all your energies towards it.” – Robin Sharma
21. “Do, Or Do Not. There Is No Try.” – Yoda
Eliminate “try” from your vocabulary and stop straddling the line. “Just do it” as Nike says.
22. “Absorb What Is Useful, Discard What Is Not, Add What Is Uniquely Your Own.” – Bruce Lee
23. “To Effectively Communicate, We Must Realize That We Are All Different In The Way We Perceive The World And Use This Understanding As A Guide To Our Communication With Others.” – Tony Robbins
24. “We see men who have accumulated great fortunes, but we often recognize only their triumph, overlooking the temporary defeats which they had to surmount before “arriving.” – Napoleon Hill
People will often look at my success now and think I’ve had it easy, but the truth is that I also had to start from the bottom.
My success is so much sweeter now because of how hard I’ve worked and how much time and energy I’ve put in to be where I am. Remember there’s no shortcut to success.
25. “Of course motivation is not permanent. But then, neither is bathing; but it is something you should do on a regular basis.” – Zig Ziglar
26. “It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.” – Denis Waitley
27. “Change equals self-improvement. Push yourself to places you haven’t been before.” – Pat Summitt
Learn to step out of your comfort zone. Do this often. Change is one of the greatest proponents of personal growth.
28. “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” – Les Brown
29. “People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you’re fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
30. “The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
The challenges you face in life don’t have to define you but they will change you, it’s up to you if it’s for the better or for the worse.
Our challenges are some of our most potent self-development tools, if we allow them to teach us they can crack our potential wide open.
31. “Don’t let the negativity given to you by the world disempower you. Instead, give to yourself that which empowers you.” – Les Brown
32. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
33. “Follow your bliss!” – Joseph Campbell
Wherever you experience pure joy and contentment, go there. Fill your life with as much of this as possible. Let it be the light that guides you every single day — because life is too short not to.
Embrace The Journey Of Self Development
The path of self-growth is never-ending and ever-expanding. As we become better people we can experience greater levels of joy and happiness in all areas of life.
Now if that’s not a reason to do the inner work then I don’t know what is!
I hope these self-development quotes bring some inspiration to your life, as well as remind you of your true potential within. We are not here to have a mediocre existence.
Go forth and expand so you can be the greatest expression of yourself!
I always love hearing from you, so feel free to share any comments you may have below.
Please click the social icons to share this with your network and help inspire them to action today!